I love you, sunflowers!

I have to admit that I was not a fan of still-life paintings. Until I saw Van Gogh's brilliant sunflowers. I was immediately smitten by the happy and lively colors.
Van Gogh's artwork on a house in Mount Dora, Florida
Van Gogh's immersive art at the Dali Museum in St Pete, Florida
Dali Museum
At the St Pete's Saturday Market, these sunflowers were so bright and cheery they beckon you to bring some home.
Sunflowers is the epitome of summer
I tried my hand at growing these summery flowers and have been rewarded handsomely. They are easy to grow and are so beautiful. One year, I even took a picture of my sunflower plant every day to show the lifecycle of the flower in a video. At the end, I cut off the head and put it in a paper bag to dry it out to get the seeds later. Lo and behold, my hubby threw the whole bag out :-(! 
This video below shows a butterfly on the sunflower. 
From the garden
If you're in the Tampa Bay area, be sure to visit the lovely St Pete downtown. Lots of restaurants, museums, and art galleries await you. The Saturday Morning market is a fun place to spend the morning, listen to music and stroll around. Beach lovers would be happy to know that the gulf beaches are minutes away, and there are so many great ones to choose from!

Linking this post to Try it on Tuesdays and Art Journal Journey.

Comments

  1. I have a canvas print of those sunflowers and they are a favorite of mine too. Thank you for sharing these with us at Art Journal Journey using Aimeslee's AG theme and thanks for joining us at Try it on Tuesday, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good evening from Holland, I tried to grow them once but I didn't succeed. Oh well I only have the sun in afternoon late on my balcony in the afternoon and it is not that big. But I do always have them in vase when they are there because my husband loved them so much. And yes van gogh is known for it. With still life is actually when you look at it block out your thoughts that first had then and then see what your thoughts are saying at the moment of looking. that's how I learned to look at still life. It is a life that has been lived first and then now captured on the canvas. And then it lives in a different way. The butterfly on the sunflower already indicated that it also likes them. And I liked your writing and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos. Sunflowers are so cheery aren't they? Thanks for sharing these photos at AJJ for Aimeslee's challenge and also at TIOT. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...sunflowers are a loveable flower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful photos! I love sunflowers, they are such cheery flowers 😊. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the video and photos of the sunflowers very much and thank you for sharing at AJJ with us. My hubby grew some this year and last and saved the heads too, then this year threw them into a flower bed for the birds and squirrels, who pounced on them immediately. I was kind of relieved because where he tossed them last year was haphazard and so we had sunflowers popping up here and there in our front yard which we try to keep groomed. It made them look like tall weeds so I was cringing a bit, lol. XOX

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment